Four-O’clock (Mirabilis) is a tender perennial. Some species are grown as an ornamental while others are considered a noxious weed in its native Americas.

This plant has some amazing strategies to pass on its genes to the next generation..

It is intensely fragrant and the blooms open from late afternoon until morning. This makes them very attractive to sphynx moths, which serve as pollinators.

Flowers that have been pollinated close by 7:30 a.m. while those that have not been pollinated remain open until 11 a.m. giving the day light loving birds and bees a chance at the nectar and the plant another chance to get pollinated by concentrating pollinator visits to the as yet, unpollinated blooms.

These strategies yield a very high rate of seed formation in 65% of the flowers . Interesting to me is the fact that only one large seed is formed per flower. Seeds are highly viable and in the wild most germinate near the mother plant. Roots are tuberous and form a deep taproot, enhancing survival of the mother plant from year to year.

Four-O’clock is a nice plant for the person who only gets to spend time in the garden in the evening or for the spot in the garden where the hard working gardener is most likely to park her tired self after dark. The great smell permeates the area, especially at night. The nocturnal moths are fun to observe and hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies frequent it in the morning . One more strategy - be attractive enough to get the humans to nurture you!