Catchword, a company offering naming and branding services says "Names are the Ultimate Soundbite".

One of their clients is Roxane Labs (a pharmaceutical manufacturer). Roxane developed Roxanol TM which is a concentrated morphine solution for the immediate relief of severe pain. It is frequently used in hospice care for dying patients. One big advantage of Roxanol is that it can be administered sublingually (under the tongue) and doesn't require the patient to swallow.

Here is how Catchword describes the feelings evoked by the word Roxanol; "the name subtly suggests pain control and oral administration, while leveraging the equity of the Roxane name. In terms of tonality, the strong 'rox-' prefix communicates efficacy and strength, while the softer '-nol' suffix speaks to a more nurturing, calming therapy".

Another name developed by Catchword is "Petopia". You know, the internet pet utopia....except Petopia.com now leads you to Petco.com so maybe the name wasn't quite enough.

"Ten", is a new "botanically infused" gin developed by the importer and distributor of Tanqueray in the United States. Catchword says "TEN works on many levels. The name communicates the positive associations of the number, and is an apt alliterative complement to such qualifiers as 'Tanqueray' and 'Tonic'.

Cintara, another branding company says "the biggest thing people must realize is that naming is a process".

They came up with ``Acterra: Action for a Sustainable Earth.'' This is the new name of 2 merged environmental groups.

We also have the XTERRA by Nissan and Windows XP. Experience points? Generation X?

Name Development, Inc. says a good name is "built on brand strategy, linguistically based and target market tested". Neologisms make up almost 3/4 of the US trademark applications each year. A lot of thought and money goes into theses name games.