It is astounding how important this year was for music. If any of the remnants of the 80s had crept their way into the 90s, all was quickly overpowered by a marvelous revolution in music. So much of today's music had its origins in this year that it may rival any other year in modern history as being so significant.

My Bloody Valentine: Loveless
Loud and different. Alternative rock owes its livelihood to this album. Kevin Shields' obsession with perfection continues to compel him to not release a follow-up to this masterpiece.

Nirvana: Nevermind
One of those landmark albums where the simple printing of the discs revolutionized the earth. Sure, the Pixies had a few successful releases before this, but this album exposed "grunge rock" and "alternative rock" for the first time to an entire generation.

Pearl Jam: Ten
Not an immediate success, but the continuous exposure of the singles on radio and MTV proved to be substantial. By the time the album became platinum, Eddie Vedder and company had completely changed rock's tone for the decade to come. The success of this album helped to get the band on the cover of Time magazine. A "soundtrack for the 90's."

Primal Scream: Screamadelica
A revelation. This single album exposed dance to the rock genre and brought rock to the dance floors. Perhaps the biggest selling "electronica" album of all time.

Massive Attack: Blue Lines
The beginning of trip-hop (or so the critics called it). Both dark overtones and gospel coincide as if they were meant for one another. The single "Unfinished Sympathy" became a huge hit in the UK. Portishead, Beth Orton, Morcheeba, and Goldie all followed.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The group's best album. Some may disagree, but Kiedis' rapping throughout the album gave way to the rap-rockers of today.

Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes
Forget the Lilith Fair, forget Alanis Morissette, forget "grrl power." This is where the whole female songwriter movement of the 90s began. Deal with it.

R.E.M.: Out of Time
Some may scoff at this entry, but people underestimate the power "Losing My Religion" had on radio and MTV. Almost all the rock acts you hear on pop radio today are there because of the popularity of this disc. Counting Crows, the Wallflowers, Spin Doctors, Matchbox 20, etc. U2 certainly played a part in introducing the standard rock of the 90s, but R.E.M. capitalized on it. This is where the group gained the fame that they appreciate today.

A Tribe Called Quest: The Low End Theory
Many people dismiss rap and hip-hop as elementary and unimportant when considering much of the substandard stuff out there. And they are right--that is, if you use this album as your standard. This is the album that all rappers hope the replicate, but fail at over and over.

The Orb: The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
How can it be said? Well, here's a way: Without this album, electronica would sound completely different than it does now. There.

Notable Mentions:
The Smashing Pumpkins: Gish
U2: Achtung Baby
Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger
Live: Mental Jewelry

And I'm sure there's more gems out there, but this is definitely the best of the best here. However, this list focuses a great deal on rock and its derivatives. Still, even the biggest skeptic of modern music can see how important this year was.