America's Favorite Painter. With out a doubt, Norman Rockwell is the most beloved illustrator in United States history. He was loved by the public, and all of his works are instantly recognized and appreciated by all generations.

And the art critics hated him.

Rockwell's paintings chronicle everyday life in America from 1916 through World War II and beyond. Family life and feel-good imagery are common, and a touch of light-hearted humor is almost always evident. Rockwell painted very realistically--never neglecting lighting and attention to detail. However, critics have always dismissed him for the much more abstract art of the times.

No one is saying that Rockwell's works suffered on a technical level. Rockwell consistently created the most realistic and finely detailed paintings ever. No one complains Rockwell didn't try hard enough.

It's just that a Norman Rockwell painting doesn't make one think. Really think. A great piece of art usually has a quality or characteristic that either provokes a wild emotion or nudges a viewer into looking at the world in a broader way. Something that inspires and that can be analyzed critically.

Did Rockwell ever tackle the sensitive issues of his times, like racial disparities? Did he ever portray American soldiers as anything but mild-mannered, smiling, and good-hearted boys? Did he ever create a work that required thinking beyond the obvious?

Rockwell, though a superb painter, really wasn't a great artist. The smiles and laughs of the millions who have enjoyed his works should not be forgotten; it's just doubtful that Rockwell will be recognized in a "History of Art" textbook a hundred years from now.