Work Avoidance

I have just finished tidying the spare room/room full of various part of various computers and a million books, because it's where I'm trying to do work for my uni course. While it doesn't look amazing, it's quite a remarkable improvement. The carpet is visible, and there is one pile of paper less than a foot high that needs filing, rather than a knee-deep sea of the stuff.

It's work avoidance, pure and simple, but necessary, none the less. It is harder for me to concentrate in an insanely messy room, especially when I think:

"Ooh, there's precisely the book I need at this exact moment!"
only to grab hold of it, give it a firm tug and get covered in folders, library books, copies of government legislation (current and forthcoming) and document wallets which I think might be breeding at the back of the shelves.

Perhaps as I'm struggling with new work right now, I should use this time for reflection. I'm constantly being reminded that reflection is the mark of a good practitioner, although I think that would be more accurately stated as reflection and subsequent behaviour/practice adjustment.This course has done nothing to diminish my pedantry. Or my cynicism. But I do get to make toy cars and spinning tops. And sometimes I actually get to voice my honest opinion. I never used to get to do that when I worked in an office.

I made an advent calendar at work once, about four years ago. But that was more work avoidance, probably avoiding checking copy or catalogue proof-reading, but work avoidance all the same.

But this is all work avoidance too.

Perhaps I could claim it's improving my ICT skills. That's an important thing for 21st century teachers... are you convinced yet?

If I keep very still and quiet maybe no-one will realise that I'm not working. Shh. Close your eyes and think of something happy.