I sit in my isolated room and work on a FAFSA and a earthquake just killed people in El Salvador. I don’t know how many people were just crushed. Or drown in the resulting mudslide. From far enough away, people can probably look like those little letters and numbers on my application. So if the FAFSA were El Salvador, section 6 questions 42-51 just died. And I don’t say this like a joke, these symbols twisted to people who didn’t deserve to die. I just wonder how it can be so important for me to bubble-in the federal school codes for my prospective universities when people are dying of earthquakes on the same planet. One man’s struggle (FAFSA) would be another man’s pleasure (El Salvadorian).

I was just interrupted by one of those telemarketer calls that greets you like an answering machine. The shitty recording asked me to call the telemarketing agency back. During their business hours. Shitty in quality and shitty in quantity. I wonder how the most important thing can be for that company to call American homes during the time when the most people eat dinner, when on the same planet people are dying of mudslides. The CEO is probably pissed because everybody hangs up, when people live in shantytowns without telephones, always under the threat of collapse or violent crime or AIDS or starvation or.. or... or...

Woe me, bleeding heart. Do I go to college or move to South America and work on soil preservation to prevent mudslides? More federal code bullshit or a shovel and my objective of life right there in front of me? Today I wonder.