A defunct death metal band from Sweden,and one of the original players in the extremely influential "Gothenburg scene." Due in part to their short career and poorly distributed albums, Eucharist never attained the widespread renown of At The Gates and In Flames, but they were quite talented and developed a distinct style very much worth hearing.

Eucharist's music was definitely metal, with the aggressive guitar chords and growly vocals typical of the genre. The highly melodic nature of their music would seem to place them in the "melodic death metal" category, but they eschewed the Iron Maiden influence of In Flames and their ilk for subtler jazz-based songs, and the overall feel is more subdued than conventionally "rocking." There's a great deal of syncopation, and solos tend to meander, lacking both the direction of conventional rock and the furious urgency of typical death metal. The band was simply too idiosyncratic to be pigeonholed in a particular genre - if you're looking for a point of comparison, think Atheist and Pestilence rather than other Swedish bands. Lyrics were more narcissistic than anything else - despite their name, Eucharist definitely weren't pushing any sort of religious agenda.

Eucharist recorded two full-length albums, A Velvet Creation and Mirrorworlds, in 1994 and 1997 respectively. Wrong Again Records, their label, was notorious both for the talent of its musicians and the ineptitude of its management, and both Eucharist albums became difficult to find when WAR went belly up. They have since been reissued by various other companies, though.

Both Eucharist albums are worthy of an extended listen. But if you can only spare the time/money for one, Mirrorworlds is your best bet. The production is far superior to that of A Velvet Creation, and the songs are better developed. There's enough in both, though, to appeal to just about any underground music listener with good taste.

Most of the band members have since disappeared from public sight, with the notable exception of drummer Daniel Erlandsson. He's since become known for his work in Arch Enemy, though he tends to be overshadowed there by the Amott brothers' guitars. Unfortunate, since Erlandsson is a genius of percussion - get the Eucharist albums and hear for yourself.