The F-15 Eagle employs an Advanced Technology Engine (improved turbofan). It has a speed of more than Mach 2 and a range of more than 2,000 miles. Its twin turbofan engines develop 50,000 pounds of thrust and the combat-loaded Eagle weighs about 40,000 pounds. Since its thrust is greater than its weight, the F-15 is able to accelerate straight up. The high thrust-to-weight ratio also makes the aircraft more responsive to the pilot's commands and therefore more maneuverable.

The F-15 was designed specifically as an all-weather air superiority fighter, but it also has the ability to attack ground targets. It is armed with one 20-mm multi-barrel gun and with advanced model Sidewinder and Sparrow air-to-air missiles. This single-seat aircraft first flew in July 1972. Its electronic equipment includes a lightweight radar system for long-range detection and tracking of small high-speed objects, such as enemy missiles. This system also ensures effective delivery of the F-15's weapon payload. After testing and acceptance, the F-15A came into the Air Force's operational inventory late in 1974. It is built by the McDonnell Company who produced the F-4. The F-15B is a two-seat trainer version of the F-15A and there are also F-15C and D models being built which are longer-range aircraft.

SOURCE: "Aerospace: The Challenge" Second Edition 1983