I'm not going to comment on Google's alleged privacy violations except to say that I've said my piece elsewhere. Any opinions expressed in this writeup are my own, and do not necessarily represent the opinion of my employer.


I've learned an awful lot about Google over the past three years. My senior year of college, I worked on a project for a company doing research into link analysis algorithms, including among other things, the paper on PageRank. It's a common myth that the "Page" in PageRank refers to "web pages"; it's actually a reference to the creator (Larry Page).

I use Google to search for information about just about everything these days. It's amazingly handy for doing homework, and if you're in the software engineering business, it's often easier to do a Google search for error messages or function definitions than it is to remember which books document the feature you're looking for. There have been plenty of articles published recently about how people are searching for their date's names in Google.

Unfortunately, there are many Google features people just don't know about. Some of these are more or less obvious: Google Labs has a few interesting demos on it, and the tabs that appear at the top of every page (web, images, groups, directory, news) can point you to searches over different sorts of information. There are also a couple of interesting features that you won't really notice unless you visit the advanced search page often. (Many new services get quietly launched on the advanced search page: Froogle, Google Catalogs, and various OS specific and university specific searches can be found here.) There are even some services that are more difficult to find: Google Answers isn't very well publicized at all.

But it's annoying to have to go to another page to find the "right place" to do a search. Besides, if I want to search for something that's related to Linux, chances are a regular Google search will bring it up. The really interesting features are the ones that just automatically happen in the regular search box:

  • Spelling correction: try spelling something wrong, in such a way that Google can't correct it. It's possible, but it's pretty hard to do.
  • Phone numbers: A similar sort of search can work for phone numbers. A search for "Google, Mountain View, CA" will give you a phone number to reach Google headquarters. You'll also get the address. Reverse number lookups also work: a search for "650-930-3500" will return the same information.
  • Maps: if I need a map somewhere, I just type the address into the google search box, and click on the top result. If you want a map of the area surrounding Google's headquarters, just search for "2400 Bayshore Pkwy, Mountain View, CA".
  • Stock quotes: if you type a ticker symbol, the first link will be to show stock quotes for that symbol.