Original E1 writeup:

(A) harsh treaty ending World War I, imposed on Germany by the Allies in the summer of 1919. Featured heavy reparations, severely limited the German armed forces and imposed the loss of all German colonies.

Also created the League of Nations, precursor to the United Nations.


Additional info, added April 16, 2001:

Actually, several different treaties are known as the Treaty of Versailles.

The Treaty of Versailles (1783), sometimes called the Treaty of Paris¹, acknowledged the independence of the 13 colonies of the United States in the aftermath of the American Revolution.

It also set the boundary between those United States and the British colonies that were to become Canada. The border ran from the Bay of Fundy, up the river St. Croix; then north to the heights between the St. Lawrence seaway and the Atlantic ocean. The border ran from there along the heights to the Connecticut river, and then down the Connecticut to 45° latitude. From there it ran due west to the St. Lawrence, and then through the Great Lakes and their connecting rivers (Lake Michigan excepted) to the west shore of Lake Superior, and then by a series of small lakes and rivers to the Lake of the Woods.

From the Lake of the Woods the border ran to the headwaters of the Mississippi (then undiscovered), which formed the western boundary of the United States.

Additionally the treaty confirmed Great Britain's rights to the island of Newfoundland and the adjacent islands, as per the Treaty of Utrecht, while ceding the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon to France. It also adjusted each nation's fishing rights in the colonies.

The next change in the makeup and borders of the future Canada came as a result of the Constitutional Act in 1791.

1. Of which there are also several. I suppose it's a French thing.