compiled overview of the 20ton Wasp 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The WSP-1A Wasp was the first recon 'Mech to be mass-produced for the Terran military. Since its initial production in 2471, the 'Mech has spread to all parts of Human-occupied space. Old Star League records show that thousands of Wasps were constructed in the four centuries preceding the Succession Wars. Though many of these have worn-out or been destroyed, estimates show that more than half this total is still in operation. Further, some Wasp designs are still being constructed in some areas of the Successor States. The large number of Wasps available for use should ensure that it remains among the main light recon 'Mechs of the Successor States for centuries to come.

The Wasp design has always been used for general scouting and reconnaissance duty. Far too lightly armed and armored for battle, its speed and maneuverability can generally keep it out of major confrontations.

The WSP-1A Wasp is well-fitted out for its scouting role. With a maximum speed of over 95kph on open terrain, the 'Mech can usually flee from most harm. With its sophisticated Rawlings 52 jump jets, it can also bypass natural or unnatural obstacles with ease. Unless the jump jets are used extensively, heat buildup is rarely a problem for the Wasp. It can, in fact, fire its entire weapons complement continuously with little or no heat problems.

The Wasp's armor is average for light 'Mechs, which means it cannot stand up to much punishment. Usually two hits in the same area are enough damage to cause the 'Mech major problems. The Wasp is armed with a Diverse Optics Type 2 medium laser placed in its right arm. A Bical SRM twin-Rack is also mounted for close-in fighting.

A major design flaw of the 'Mech was discovered during the Reunification War (2575-2597). During the Battle of Imbros III in March 2580, the tactic of jump-kicking gained popularity. With this maneuver, jump-capable light and medium 'Mechs could jump and smash their leg components into the head and upper torso of opposing units, hoping to cause more damage than they inflicted upon themselves. This tactic was very popular among Wasp warriors, as it improved their offensive potential somewhat. Practitioners of the tactic soon learned that most Wasps were only able to use the jump-kick once, even if the leg damage was repaired before another close combat. After performing the first or second jump-kick, the lower leg assemblies on the Wasp would actually rip away from the body at the instant of impact, leaving the 'Mech totally immobile in the field. The problem was finally traced to the stress bars along the actuator paths in the lower leg components. The designers had never dreamed that a tactic such as jump-kicking would be developed for lighter 'Mechs, and so had not given them the monomolecular stress-resistant material used on newer and heavier 'Mech types. By 2610, nearly all Wasps and other light 'Mechs were rebuilt with MMSR actuator bars, alleviating the amputation problem.

During the Civil War brought on by Stefan the Usurper, loyal Star League forces launched an assault at the planet Cylene IV in March 2772. Massed recon lances composed mostly of Wasps and other light 'Mechs screened the assault. Not waiting for the major forces of the Loyalists to drop onto the planet, the rebel defenders launched a counter-offensive against the scout units. Many of the light 'Mechs simply fell back in good order and awaited reinforcements. Some, however, were caught in front of impassible terrain, allowing the rebels' medium and heavy 'Mechs to decimate the units before any support could arrive. By sacrificing these Wasps and other light 'Mechs, the main Loyalist assault force was able to drop on-planet unopposed, for the Usurper forces were scattered from their many skirmishes with the first wave of Loyalist scout 'Mechs. The Loyalists made short work of the rebels, and the planet fell to them within four days.

In April 2796, the infamous Kentares Massacre occurred after Minoru Kurita's assassination. Oshita's Recon Lance of the First Sword of Light Regiment gained the ignominious honor of exacting the most civilian casualties on the population in that month-long killing spree. The Wasps of Oshita's lance are particularly infamous for their systematic butchery in well-inhabited, hard-to-evacuate areas such as hospitals and high-rise apartment buildings. When word of the atrocities reached House Davion, its leaders placed a high price on the heads of the MechWarriors in Oshita's recon lance. By 2801, all four MechWarriors, along with their Techs and support personnel, had been killed in combat or by bounty hunters.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.