While it is true that modern multi-stage nuclear weapons utilize tritium as a D-T fusion fuel, it is only half true that we are limited to one half-life cycle and untrue that you can only 'make' tritium in Fast Breeder Reactors.

The United States has a large stock of decommissioned nuclear weapons. These have been removed from service both due to age and to the requirements of past arms control accords. The tritium (it is a gas, being an isotope of hydrogen, at room and operating temperature) from these weapons has been reclaimed. Although the amount of usable tritium in the resultant store does drop by arund 5.5% per year, that still leaves a sizable amount which can be used for the remaining weapons in commission, enough to take us through probably at least another few years of weapons maintenance.

Finally, the U.S. Department of Energy, in association with the Tennessee Valley Authority, the operators of the Watts Bar reactor near Spring City, Tennessee, has designed, tested and implemented a new method of tritium production. Normal operation of the Watts Bar reactor, which is a commercial Pressurized Light Water Reactor, involves the placement of 'burnable absorber rods' inside the reactor vessel. These rods, containing boron carbide, serve to absorb some of the neutron flux from the normal reactor operation before it reaches the shielding of the containment vessel, and to regulate the 'rate' of the nuclear reaction inside. Special versions of these rods, called 'burnable absorber rods', are laced with lithium-6 aluminate. When this material is struck by neutrons, it produces tritium. Zirconium placed inside the rods along with the lithium aluminate captures the resulting tritium in a chemical reaction and sequesters it. When the rods are removed during the course of the normal 18-month fueling cycle of the reactor, the tritium-producing burnable absorber rods (TPBARs, in govspeak) are removed and sent to a DOE faciilty, where the zirconium is processed to recover the bonded tritium. In 2003, both the Watts Bar and Sequoyah reactors were certified and began planning to include TPBARs in their next cycle.

Dates and facility names from: http://www.tva.gov/news/tritium.htm