One of the lesser-known books by Isaac Asimov. It was published in 1989, only 3 years before his death. It is not part of Foundation, Robot or Empire -trilogy (which are really just one damn big series), but an independent and parallel story, although he hinted at foreword that he might integrate it one day.

Story of Nemesis starts at 23rd century. Earth has populated our solar system with space colonies to fight the increasing problems with overpopulation. These colonies are more or less independent and disdain the chaotic planet earth, which in turn shuns the snobby colonies. One of the colonies, Rotor, is led by particularly competent and visionary governor Janus Pitt. When Rotor accidentally discovers the secret of hyperdrive, Pitt decides to leave the squabbling mankind and go away to build better world.

In more local storyline is told the story of Marlene Fisher, teenage girl who isn't exactly best equipped in body department, but possesses such skill in reading body language that it's close to telepathy. Her skills come in handy with the newly colonized planet that eerily reminds me of Alpha Centauri.

So much for story, of which I told too much already; what did I think of it? Well, it was refreshing in a way. Although there supposedly grand events determining the fate of mankind going on, the storytelling was strangely soothing and peaceful. Events happened due their course, and there was not a single scene that could be thought 'action'. It wasn't a boring book, however, the story was actually quite fascinating. I don't know how old idea Planetmind is but chronlogically thinking, I'd say that creators of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri certainly read this book.

0/10 rating: 8