Source: www.healthcentral.com

Definition:
The lack of adequate body fluids for the body to carry on normal functions at an optimal level (by loss, inadequate intake, or a combination of both). Losses of only a few percent in an adult and up to 5% in infants are considered mild dehydration.

Causes:
Dehydration can be caused by excessive loss of water from the body as in:

Dehydration can also occur from inadequate intake as in:
  • nausea
  • stomatitis or pharyngitis
  • acute illness with loss of appetite
Dehydration in children is most often a combination of both as in:
  • stomach flu with vomiting and diarrhea
  • acute illness where the child refuses fluids and loses excessive fluid
  • through sweating with fever
Fluid losses up to 5% are considered mild; up to 10% are considered moderate; and up to 15% are considered severe. Severe dehydration can result in cardiovascular collapse and death if not treated quickly.

Prevention:
Parents should consider the possibility of dehydration developing any time their child is ill. If you believe that dehydration is developing, they should consult the health care provider before the child becomes moderately or severely dehydrated. A few simple measures may prevent the development of severe dehydration.

Always provide adequate fluids during an illness, and pay attention to both the intake and output of fluid. For infants and young children, specific solutions (such as Pedialyte) are available that provide the right amount of electrolytes to prevent derangements of serum chemistries.

Symptoms:

  • excessive loss of fluid through vomiting or excessive, urine, stools or
  • sweating
  • poor intake of fluids
  • sunken eyes
  • markedly sunken fontanelles in an infant
  • dry or sticky mucus membranes in the mouth
  • the skin may lack its normal elasticity and sag back into position slowly when pinched up into a fold (poor skin turgor)
  • decreased or absent urine output (oliguria or anuria)
  • decreased tears