The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is an enrapturing story of personal suffering and inner conflict. Set in colonial (17th c.) New England, the book plays out the story of Hester Prynne, a young woman guilty of adultery, and how her punishment affects her. Hester holds the reader’s pity throughout: she was first married in England to a man she didn’t love, and was sent to the Massachusetts Bay colony before him to prepare their life. However, while there, she falls for the local priest, Arthur Dimmesdale, and they have an affair. The result is pregnancy and resulting punishment by the Puritan-dominated colony and local government.

Hester is harshly chastised in a unique way. In order that her shame may be apparent to all the inhabitants and newcomers to the colony, she is forced to wear a red letter A on her breast. In the seven years that follows, this scarlet letter will become almost part of her and a constant reminder of her sin. She will be shunned by other people (the inhabitants avoid her, and their children ridicule her) and forced to live alone with her daughter, Pearl.

Another interesting twist on Hester’s burden is that she will not, and does not, reveal who her partner in crime is. Reverend Dimmesdale is loved and held in high reverence by the people. He is very frail due to his apparently harsh fasting, and this, among other things, results in his being considered one of the holiest people in the colony. That he should have committed adultery was blasphemy; so it is a bit ironic, but not at all surprising, that when Hester was first punished (elevated in front of the population), he was called upon to demand of her the name of her accomplice. She adamantly refused and was thus forced on her journey of redemption alone. This, along with being proof of her love for him, reveals her unselfishness and determination.

In her long torment, Hester occupies herself with embroidery and the raising of her child, Pearl. Though the A was her human punishment, Pearl acts as a parallel of the letter, a mark from God. Another surprise is brought on when Hester’s former husband appears: Roger Chillingworth. He is there the day she is sentenced, and visits her in her cell, vowing to find the man who impregnated her. He is a doctor, and by intuition and chance, focuses himself on Reverend Dimmesdale, moves in with him, and eventually discovers his secret, for the Reverend had carved the letter A onto his left breast out of torment and guilt.

Hester warns Dimmesdale in a meeting in the woods, and they plan to leave the colony together on a ship. Unfortunately, Dimmesdale dies before this plan can be carried out. After giving an “Election Day” sermon, where many people were present, he calls Hester and Pearl over to the same scaffolding where Hester was sentenced. Here he makes his confession to the inhabitants and dies in her arms. Chillingworth never gets his revenge, and Hester never removes the A from her breast.

Though, despite being pardoned, she never parts with the letter, Pearl, her divine mark, is never seen in the Massachusetts bay colony again. Perhaps the author meant this to be as imagery: she had repented before God, but the A had become part of who she was, and people would never forget.

All in all, I’ve found this to be an excellent story. Hawthorne’s use of simile and metaphor (especially in such scenes as the forest meeting with Dimmesdale) brought the work alive, while still creating awesome parallels that were relevant to the plot and its concerns. I found it amazing that the author could provide such an in-depth look at the human soul from a third-person perspective; and yet he managed to illustrate all the intricacies of Hester’s shame, apprehensions over wild Pearl, Chillingworth’s anger, or Dimmesdale’s guilt.

In addition to its anti-Puritan sentiment, I believe this book held in it a lesson on human instinct. Each character acted on his or her own basic, primal feeling. For Hester it was love, for Dimmesdale shame, Chillingworth hate, and Pearl harsh innocence. For instance, all of Dimmesdale’s actions very much revolved around his self-hatred and desired redemption. Chillingworth was driven by revenge, Hester acted only out of compassion, and Pearl’s actions and words were often surreal in that they meant so much more than they seemed; she was innocent, but always touching a sore spot, so to speak. Pearl was my favorite character simply because of her wanton curiosity and the pain she caused others, especially her parents, by her actions. She would not kiss her father until he had made his violent confession; in the book she was like the hand of God.

The Scarlet Letter is definitely a work of art; It's definitely worth reading and rereading.